Thursday, April 17, 2014

One day in the life of a teacher

There are days as a teacher where we have victories. Contrastingly, there are days when we suffer heartbreaking defeat. When we have "average" days, what are the takeaways? As teachers, we are so pre-programmed to celebrate the highest of highs, and spend countless hours engaging with "reflective practice" and crunching data to cope with or plan for advancing the most struggling of learners. 

Everyday, I come home and my wife asks me, "How was work today?" My response, everyday, verbatim: "Fine." Perhaps a portion of this answer is due to me being male and uncomfortable with generalized emotional intimacy. On the other hand, maybe it is the fact that her question lacks inherent depth and precludes a lack of actual interest. Either way, even when considering this question seriously, I am hard-pressed to determine a better response.

Most days are fairly similar, but when I think about what we actually do as teachers, it is difficult to imagine explaining the details of the depth and complexity of my day to someone who does not do the same thing occupationally. I spend, on average, close to eight hours with students. From the minute I arrive, one hour before the bell, usually, there is someone who is in my room. My one hour of reprieve is during my prep period, but rather than be a hermit, I often exit my room and save my planning for later. I use my prep period as an opportunity to stretch my legs, check in with office staff, or to observe peers. 

During my lessons, I keep a fast-past and dynamic schedule that requires massive amounts of energy and engagement for both my students and me. I expend the energy that I have in order to give a good teaching performance. After school I usually tutor or have some sort of staff-related meeting due to my many self-selected duties on campus. So, when I get home, I am not sure how to answer the question, "How was your day?"

My day was a educational, challenging, long, exhausting, rewarding, celebratory, heart-breaking, a roller coaster, entertaining, unnerving, patience-requiring, dynamic, and engaging experience.

At least now, when I think about it, I may lack emotional intimacy, but one thing I do not lack, is the usage of adjectives.

So teachers, I ask you, how was your day at work?

No comments:

Post a Comment