Thursday, May 8, 2014

Creating Your Personal Learning Network

Reflecting upon a Twitter chat from last night, May 7, 2014, I am considering the implications of creating a personal learning network beyond my own school site and district.

I joined a Twitter chat with #ntchat, New Teacher Chat, and found that the dialogue was open, welcoming, and extremely beneficial. The topic of the conversation was "Creating Your Personal Learning Network" as a new OR veteran teacher.

I have found myself very frustrated the past couple of years at my school site. I am not what I would consider a "veteran teacher" as I am completing only my seventh year, but I have taken on roles and responsibilities at my site and district level that have given me valuable experiences that some more senior teachers have not had. The issues that I have had surround the flexibility and willingness to collaborate, especially when considering Common Core. Regardless of how we currently, in this moment, feel about Common Core, as of right now, it's happening. We cannot immediately close our eyes and blink them away. Knowing this, the unwillingness to acknowledge and adapt will be extremely detrimental to school sites.

In order to adapt to the changing current of education, I have taken to the internet to satisfy ny cravings for professional development, collaboration, and personal growth. I have committed to using Twitter to participate in the educational chats that exist. Interestingly, in my short but very active time on Twitter, I have found "edchats" trending. Moreover, according to Edsurge, teachers dominate the Twittersphere. (Click here to read the article.)

The people I have met on Twitter have already got me to think about all of the potential there is out there. You ask a question, it gets answered. You get a change to get feedback on practice, lesson ideas, and challenges. I have begun to follow educational leaders, tech gurus, educational theorists, reformers, and administrators. Comments, follows, and retweets have been validating and exciting! I feel like social media has tuned into - wait for it - my PLN!



Don't be afraid to follow and tweet people who have created great content. Ask for resources and permission to use website data or other information. Do not be afraid to join chats from other states because good practice is GOOD PRACTICE, period.

Google+, my newest and emerging foray into the world of my web PLN, will allow me to join communities of like-minded individuals, network, and participate in hangouts where the dialogue is rich, engaging, and endless. Whether your interests lie in pedagogy, educational technology, administration, or just education in general, the proliferation of content is overwhelmingly abundant, but so very valuable to a teachers, new and experienced.

My frustration is this: I want to be the teacher is takes twenty years of work and experience to make, but I must also accept that this process takes time. Although the immediate interactions and connections occur, building my PLN is ongoing and fluid. It is similar to building a clientele in a client-based business. 

How to Use Twitter to Develop Your PLN.

I depend upon my PLN to answer the questions that my site and district, damaged by recession and decisions, cannot answer. Putting yourself out there is tough, but be willing to share, ask questions, provide feedback, find a diverse group of individuals, and be patient.

Stay connected locally, if you can, with your PLC. Grow digitally with your PLN. Create a community of learners that facilitate your personal growth and educational betterment.

Power Up Your Personal Learning Network
The Connected Educator: Building a Professional Learning Network

No comments:

Post a Comment